Saturday, August 24, 2013

Healthy Continental Breakfast

Hello again! It's that time of year again...back to school! As a university student, back to school means more than just that. It means back to my second home. There are so many great opportunities that are available through university life that I would never experience otherwise. I can't wait to share more about my sophomore year with ya'll!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves though! Before moving in, my family stayed at a nearby hotel for a couple of days. After a not so great motel experience last year, a hotel was definitely the way to go. Besides the pool and hot tub, which are obviously the best perks, the hotel provided a nice continental breakfast every morning. The options were far more extensive than I imagined they would be, so I took on the challenge of creating the healthiest morning meal that I could. I poked around looking in every little tray and mini fridge before assembling my plate. Here is what I chose:

 

  • Black tea with skim milk
  • 1 hard boiled egg with a pinch of salt and pepper
  • Quaker's Instant Oatmeal (maple and brown sugar) with a splash of skim milk
  • Dannon's Light & Fit "mini" blueberry yogurt

I usually try to start my day off with a good amount of protein to keep me energized and satisfied for a long amount of time. At the hotel breakfast they had a variety of regular yogurts so I figured this would be an ok source of protein. In the past I couldn't stomach any yogurt besides flavored greek, but I've gotten less picky over the years. Greek yogurt still remains my preference because of its thickness and higher amount of protein, but regular yogurt will do in a pinch! I grabbed a little blueberry yogurt which must have been around 3-4 oz. Although it was a bit too sugary for my taste, it made a good side to the rest of my breakfast. 

The hard boiled egg was by far the most natural item on my plate, and added another source of protein along with some good fats and vitamins. 

The bulk of the meal was the Oatmeal. Of course instant oatmeal would never beat the real thing, but it is still tasty...especially if you choose the maple and brown sugar flavor! Despite all of the sugar in this oatmeal, you are still getting some fiber from the whole grain rolled oats and some protein. Not too shabby!!

And of course, some tea :)

So there you have it! Continental Breakfast with a healthy spin. Or you could be a little more traditional and just have this...

Bagels and Waffles
And what goes better with breakfast than a dip in the pool and the hot tub?!?

Do you see me way back there?




No comments:

Post a Comment